School chatter

This post will be more essay-type to include some of our assignments for the training period. 

Knowing that this is my last training period before graduation makes me feel both relieved and melancholicThese three years have been crucial to my growth both as a person and a professional. Even though I have achieved and learned a lot, I believe that this is only the beginning and there’s unimaginable things waiting for me in the futureSomething that I still need some practice with would be confidence in myself and my skills and being more open to different ideas, just to name a couple of things. 

To introduce you better to my workplace, (better later than never right?) I’m doing my final training period in Penina Hotel & Golf Resort in PortimãoThe five-star resort spans 360 acres and contains a hotel complex, golf courses, tennis courts, a football pitch and a running track. It is owned and operated by JJW Hotels & Resorts. In 1966 it was the first course to be built in the Algarve and it has since been the venue for the Portuguese Open on many occasionsBuilt by Sir Henry Cotton, it was the first traditional grass course in the Algarve and brought notoriety to the area as a golfing destination and enabled the first golf hotels in Portugal to spring up. It is probably needless to say that Penina’s legacy as a high-quality golf destination is still prominent. 

first started in the food & beverage departmentwhich meant working at breakfast and in the various restaurants we have in the afternoon/eveningAfter F&B I moved to housekeeping where I spent one week in the laundry and one week cleaning the roomsI’m currently  finishing my training in the reception. Howeverthese departments are only a few among many – we have people working in golf servicesmaintenancegardeningmarketingreservationsaccounting and so on. Regardless of which department you’re part of, you always have to work in co-operation with people from other departments. I think the biggest difference between work culture in Finland and Portugal is that in Portugal the hierarchy is much more visible and the overall way of thinking is more old-fashioned. 

When I compare this training period to the first one I did in 2017 in a café/restaurant, I think there’s a huge difference in where I was back then both as a professional and a person. Everything was new and scarywhereas now even new things feel more natural because you have the basic idea of what’s coming and how work life functionseven if you don’t know that specific task in question. I feel like I have earned much more knowledge and skills and especially my problem solving and individual thinking skills have improved. 

To address the entrepreneur part, I personally can’t see myself going down that career path as it is very demanding and I simply do not feel the need to start my own company - I am perfectly content working for one instead. 

When I think about the future of travel industry, I belive that it has a long way to go in sustainability. A lot of changes must be made in order to keep the industry alive for longer than the nexr fifty years. (Looking at youdear aviation...) Tourism can do so much good if that’s just what we aim for, but if we don’t the negative effects will be immense in the long run. I think it is all of our responsbility working in this field to do our own part in contributing to sustainabilitynot only because the planet needs it but because otherwise there won’t be jobs for us or the future generations. 

The three years that I spent in my school were not only educational but life-changing and I can proudly say that I succeeded in reaching my goal – achieving the tools to become a professional in travel and tourism. I would absolutely recommend anyone who’s interested in this field to apply for my school – our teachers have plenty of experience and connections in the industry which is a key factor in the quality of teaching. I love that a lot of the learning happens in actual workplaces – I personally learn the best by doing in practiceEspecially seeing how competitive the job market is nowadaysthe more experience you have the betterso this degree does indeed give a head start to getting employed. Our school also offers lots of special opportunities for anyone who’s interested – for example my current training period abroad and a trip to South Korea last year. 

What I’m the most grateful for is absolutely the friends and contacts I’ve made through my school. If it hadn’t been for them, I probably would’ve never discovered my dream workplace – the airport –, gone abroad or met some amazing people. For now my plan is to continue working as a security officer and maybe become a managerI’ve also been thinking of applying for Bachelor's Degree Programme in Safety, Security and Risk Management in Laurea University of Applied Sciences – it would be fascinating to work with planning safety procedures  in the airport for exampleI’m also interested in living abroad for a longer period of time – where exactlyit’s still a mystery but I’m sure I’ll figure it out as I go. For now it’s nice to go back home for a bit but only until I grow tired of Finland again. 

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Finally in Portugal

Portugal facts